About This Property

This old building was designed by Rudolph Stanley-Brown during his distinguished career with the WPA and Department of Treasury.  It has been determined eligible to the National Register of Historic Places (verify date), along with its companion structure, Horton Tank #4816, the most dramatic piece in the 1934 WPA funded Linden Waterworks.  This was one of Texas' two earliest waterworks to be approved during the New Deal Era, the other being in Corpus Christi.  The Old Firehouse served the early Linden Volunteer Fire Department from 1939 to 1962, when it was abandoned and began to fall into disrepair.  Over the years it became seriously endangered due to roof failure and general neglect, but the new owner, Linden Heritage Foundation, is taking steps to fund an HSR and to move toward full restoration of the building under the Secretary of Interior Standards. The major modification is that the front facade was altered in the late 1950s to create a pair of vehicle bays rather than the original single bay with public entrance.




Nearby Businesses

Property Information

Zoning
Lot Size (acres) 0.0299
Parking Spaces
Electrical Service
Heating Type
Official Total Sq Ft
Total Commercial Units
Total Residential Units
Total Commerical Sq Ft
Total Residential Sq Ft
Year Built 1939
Last Remodel Date
Last Sale Date
Historic Resources Survey Linden March 2017 - 3/1/2017
Priority Medium
Parcel Number 772680
Subdivision
Legal Description Linden OT Blk 2 LOT 5-C .0299 Ac 43425
Located Within
  • Main Street Program Area