About This Property

In 1858, ten German immigrants met in La Grange and organized the Casino Association of La Grange. The Society raised private funds and in July 1880 they contracted to build a structure for $12,000 which would serve as a multipurpose venue to include a performance hall, gathering space, and school. 

By 1884 there were two hundred students attending the Casino School. Although there were still regular theatrical performances, education had become its primary purpose.  After the school moved out in 1924, renovations were made in order for the Casino Hall to become the home of the Fire Department and City Hall. 

After sharing with the Fire Department for forty years, City Hall was moved into its new building next door in 1968. In 1992, after sixty-seven years in the Casino Hall, the Fire Department moved into its new headquarters directly across the street.

The Senior Center remained in the Casino Hall until the building closed in 2006. Over the next eight years, the building remained vacant. The renovation project finally began in 2014 when the City Council voted to approve the City funding the $3.7 million renovation itself.  

The finished two-story building encompasses 9,615 square feet of space and houses the La Grange Visitors Bureau and a performing arts center as well as office space for the La Grange Economic Development Corporation. 

The Casino Hall never served as a gaming hall; rather, it was built with the intention of being a gathering place for the community.


Nearby Businesses

Property Information

Zoning District B - Commercial
Lot Size (acres) 0.6360
Parking Spaces
Electrical Service
Heating Type
Official Total Sq Ft
Total Commercial Units
Total Residential Units
Total Commerical Sq Ft
Total Residential Sq Ft
Year Built
Last Remodel Date
Last Sale Date April 13th, 2009
Historic Resources Survey -
Priority
Parcel Number 49337
Subdivision
Legal Description MOORE JOHN H (445) LOT 112-125 BLK 17 .636 162 X 171 = 27,702 SFT, COM - AGRICULTURAL OFFICES
Located Within
  • La Grange Main Street Program Area/Local Historic District Boundary
  • La Grange National Register Commercial Historic District