About This Property

The Von Rosenberg building began as three separate buildings (239-245, 253) prior to all being purchased by Mr. Von Rosenberg. 

The building addressed as 239 was constructed in 1850 by Thomas C. Gregory and served as a drug store until 1893. In 1896, it became the Sanborn Saloon which operated until 1906, when the building was purchased by Mr. Von Rosenberg. The building addressed as 245 was also known as the Farquhar Building, a clothing and grocery store. It was sold to Mr. Von Rosenberg in 1890. 

This building, 253 Travsi St., was a saddlery business prior to be being purchased by Mr. Von Rosenberg. 

All three buildings were torn down in the early 1900s to construct one new, brick building. The new building construction began in 1922 and served as a department store until it closed in 1953 and was sold to Glen Prause, Sr. The building was then divided into three sections and currently serves as a meat market and insurance office.

Nearby Businesses

Property Information

Zoning District B - Commercial
Lot Size (acres) 0.2375
Parking Spaces
Electrical Service
Heating Type
Official Total Sq Ft
Total Commercial Units
Total Residential Units
Total Commerical Sq Ft
Total Residential Sq Ft
Year Built c. 1922
Last Remodel Date
Last Sale Date February 2nd, 2015
Historic Resources Survey -
Parcel Number 36727
Subdivision S44029
Legal Description MOORE JOHN H (445) LOT FRC 224-229 BLK 33 0.2375 10,344 SFT, COMM - D & Z MAN'S SHOP
Located Within
  • La Grange Main Street Program Area/Local Historic District Boundary
  • La Grange National Register Commercial Historic District