About This Property

In November 1881, the Fayette County Commissioners selected the Victorian Gothic design of Andrewarthe & Wahrenbergen for a new prison. The building was completed in mid-1883 at a cost of $30,000. It was built with native limestone from Muldoon, TX, just a short distance from La Grange.

The jail housed a total of 16 cells, with 8 cells on each of its 2 floors and an open area in the middle for meals. The county used the facility for 102 years until the new justice center was built in 1985. Two of its most famous prisoners included Ray Hamilton and Gene O’Dare from the notorious Bonnie & Clyde gang. They robbed the Carmine State Bank in the early 1930s.

The jail underwent a series of renovations which were completed in the 1990s. Since the renovation, the building has served as office space for the La Grange Area Chamber of Commerce and the La Grange Visitors Bureau.

Nearby Businesses

Property Information

Zoning District B - Commercial
Lot Size (acres) 0.5988
Parking Spaces
Electrical Service
Heating Type
Official Total Sq Ft
Total Commercial Units
Total Residential Units
Total Commerical Sq Ft
Total Residential Sq Ft
Year Built 1883
Last Remodel Date
Last Sale Date
Historic Resources Survey -
Priority
Parcel Number 48390
Subdivision
Legal Description MOORE JOHN H (445) LOT 252-257 BLK 33 .5988 26,082 SFT, COMM - OLD JAIL
Located Within
  • La Grange Main Street Program Area/Local Historic District Boundary
  • La Grange National Register Commercial Historic District