About This Property

Johann Caspar Fink, a young businessman, purchased lot 172 and built a wooden, two-story building with the purpose of opening a general merchandise store in the mid-1800s. The building became the mecca for all traders in La Grange. It also held the distinction of being the largest building in the area for quite some time.

Over the years, the building transitioned into a Chinese laundry, a bottling works, and an air dome theater.  

In 1912, the Mohrhusen-Schmidt Company purchased the property and tore down the physical building. They erected a new one in 1915, which served as the Texas
Museum and furniture store. Today, the building houses bank operations.

Nearby Businesses

Property Information

Zoning District B - Commercial
Lot Size (acres) 0.3800
Parking Spaces
Electrical Service
Heating Type
Official Total Sq Ft
Total Commercial Units
Total Residential Units
Total Commerical Sq Ft
Total Residential Sq Ft
Year Built c. 1850s
Last Remodel Date
Last Sale Date February 1st, 2012
Historic Resources Survey -
Priority
Parcel Number 38437
Subdivision
Legal Description MOORE JOHN H (445) LOT FRC OF 172 BLK 21 0.38 16,549 SQ FT, COMM BLDG - (PIONEER TRACT LOT 1)
Located Within
  • La Grange Main Street Program Area/Local Historic District Boundary
  • La Grange National Register Commercial Historic District