About This Property

The Hermes building holds the distinction of being the only building on the Square that was operated under the same name for more than 100 years. Founded in 1855 and originally located on the northeast corner of the Square in a primitive log building, this drugstore moved to several locations until the present building was completed in 1907. Established by William Hermes, Sr., of Heidelberg, Germany, a graduate of the University of Heidelberg, it offered the community a wide range of services beyond drugs, including subscriptions for newspapers (from New Orleans, New York, and Galveston), school books, sundries, hardware, and groceries. In 1865, Dr. H.A. Eck became Hermes’ partner. The yellow fever epidemic of 1867 killed Hermes’ entire family and blinded Dr. Eck. Hermes left to protest the Civil War returning in 1868. The store remained in the family until 1946, when it was sold to Edgar Anders.

The records of the Hermes Drug Store survive along with early pharmaceutical equipment at the Fayette Heritage Museum and Archives.

Nearby Businesses

Property Information

Zoning District B - Commercial
Lot Size (acres) 0.1865
Parking Spaces
Electrical Service
Heating Type
Official Total Sq Ft
Total Commercial Units
Total Residential Units
Total Commerical Sq Ft
Total Residential Sq Ft
Year Built c. 1884 and 1906
Last Remodel Date
Last Sale Date
Historic Resources Survey -
Priority
Parcel Number 88844
Subdivision
Legal Description MOORE JOHN H (445) LOT FRC 177 BLK 23 .1865 8,125 SFT, COMM - RETAIL SHOPS
Located Within
  • La Grange Main Street Program Area/Local Historic District Boundary
  • La Grange National Register Commercial Historic District