About This Property

The brick building was built by Schmacher & Meerscheidt in 1881. It was intended to be used as a post office and law office. In 1884, when the post office moved across the street, it was a Chinese laundry. From 1885-1892, it served as Reichert Furniture Store until Reichert erected a new building. It was a millinery shop between 1895 and 1936. Subsequently, it has been home to a number of businesses, including a jewelry repair shop, a beauty shop, a fabric shop, a handcraft store, and Monument Hill Water District office. Today, it houses part of the Texas Quilt Museum and a quilt supply shop.

Nearby Businesses

Property Information

Zoning District B - Commercial
Lot Size (acres) 0.0789
Parking Spaces
Electrical Service
Heating Type
Official Total Sq Ft
Total Commercial Units
Total Residential Units
Total Commerical Sq Ft
Total Residential Sq Ft
Year Built 1881
Last Remodel Date
Last Sale Date April 30th, 2010
Historic Resources Survey -
Priority
Parcel Number 37552
Subdivision
Legal Description MOORE JOHN H (445) LOT FRC 141,142,151,152 BLK 18 .0789 3,440.3 SFT, COMM - STAR OF TEXAS (INCOMPLETE)
Located Within
  • La Grange Main Street Program Area/Local Historic District Boundary
  • La Grange National Register Commercial Historic District