About This Property

German immigrant Henry Rhode built the first stone building on the Square in La Grange. His family owned the building until 1887 when it was purchased by August Heintze.

The structure housed the largest department store in the county under Heintze’s ownership, and he expanded his operation by constructing an additional two buildings on
the Square. The building stayed in the Heintze family until 1960.

Many types of businesses have operated from this location, including Studebaker buggies, groceries, crockery, hardware, wagons, and plows.  

Heintze was instrumental in developing a marketplace for locally grown produce and in 1910 he formed the Heintze- Speckels Co.

Today, the current business is an interior décor and women’s clothing boutique.

Nearby Businesses

Property Information

Zoning District B - Commercial
Lot Size (acres) 0.1042
Parking Spaces
Electrical Service
Heating Type
Official Total Sq Ft
Total Commercial Units
Total Residential Units
Total Commerical Sq Ft
Total Residential Sq Ft
Year Built c. 1855
Last Remodel Date
Last Sale Date April 28th, 2006
Historic Resources Survey -
Priority
Parcel Number 36782
Subdivision
Legal Description MOORE JOHN H (445) LOT FRC 195-196 BLK 23 .1042 4,539 SFT, COMM - VALLEJO & CANTRELL ATTORNEYS AT LAW
Located Within
  • La Grange Main Street Program Area/Local Historic District Boundary
  • La Grange National Register Commercial Historic District