About This Property

In 1880, Jacob Weil broke ground on a two-story, brick building on the west side of the Square. According to articles published in the La Grange Journal the ownership of this building changed hands several times, first from Weil to Theo Schmidt, who was the only man in the country authorized to sell the Vogelsang cotton sprinkler, then to J.C. Eccles, and again to Jacob Weil in 1900.

In 1890, the tax collector’s offices and the county clerk occupied the building while the courthouse was under construction. The next recorded occupants were the Rosenthal Brothers operating a general mercantile in 1896. For several years the upstairs was used as the Knights of Pythias lodge room.

Over the years the known businesses included Weils Stoves and Tin Ware, Theo Schmidt General Store, Friedberger’s (a confectioner), A. Levin (fruits and candies), Dr. Adams (dentist), A.F. Weber and Son Cotton Buyers, Dier’s Feed Store, Eckel’s Sweet Shop, the Kerville Bus Depot, AAA Farm Program, Rosenburg Sweet Shop, Dyer’s Pharmacy, and Colortyme. It currently serves as a real estate agency and hair salon.

Nearby Businesses

Property Information

Zoning District B - Commercial
Lot Size (acres) 0.0930
Parking Spaces
Electrical Service
Heating Type
Official Total Sq Ft
Total Commercial Units
Total Residential Units
Total Commerical Sq Ft
Total Residential Sq Ft
Year Built c. 1880
Last Remodel Date
Last Sale Date September 29th, 2014
Historic Resources Survey -
Priority
Parcel Number 38431
Subdivision
Legal Description MOORE JOHN H (445) LOT FRC 201 BLK 21 0.093 6,100 SQ FT, COMM - HERITAGE REAL ESTATE
Located Within
  • La Grange Main Street Program Area/Local Historic District Boundary
  • La Grange National Register Commercial Historic District