A community located in Northeast Texas, Winnsboro is a quiet community that treasures its past while embracing the future. No matter the time of year, Winnsboro and its neighboring towns wait to make your visit a relaxing escape. Located halfway between Dallas and Texarkana (just south of Interstate 30), John E. Winn and W.R. McMillian, our first settlers, came to Winnsboro prior to 1854. They traveled through Crossroads (the original name of the town) and were attracted to the rich land on the edge of the Piney Woods where they then purchased 351 acres in the Gray B. King tract. They opened the first post office in 1855, along with their mercantile business. The town of Crossroads was open for business! Citizens soon changed the name to "Winnsborough," in honor of the original founder, and retained that spelling until 1889 when the government changed the spelling to "Winnsboro". The land on which the town is located was first surveyed by Gray B. King in 1835, and carved from the State of Caohuila and Texas, then a state under the Mexican government. The location sits astride the boundary between the Louisiana Territory and Old Mexico and is equidistant from Dallas, Shreveport, and Texarkana. Our rich and varied history extends from the days of the Caddo Indians to the French settlement and from the wild logging era to the rather calm visits of Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow. Today, Winnsboro is a Texas Main Street City, A Preserve America City, and a State Certified Cultural Arts District featuring fine restaurants, antiques, specialty shops, notable musicians, artists, art galleries, and the heart of our arts culture, the Winnsboro Center for the Arts. Our quiet East Texas community of 3,584 citizens offers a hometown welcome to visitors along with a relaxed country atmosphere and friendly neighbors. Our mission is to live, work and serve together to make Winnsboro the most welcoming place for visitors, businesses, and residents to call home.